History

 

The beginnings of this monastery has it’s origins linked with the foundation of the Romanian hermitage "Prodromos" of Mount Athos in the nineteenth - century. In 1853, Pious Nifon and Nectarie, having settled the athonite hermitage, built in Bucium a small hermitage with the same internal order found in the Holy Mountain, the purpose of this being philanthropic spiritual and missionary,to help Romanian monks that were found in the Holy Mountain. The hermitage’s foundation was possible because of a donation made by Grigore Alexandru Ghica the 2nd  , consisting of 3,000 gold coins  and  4.1 hectares of land. The first church was framed into a rectangular building, had no tower, having the appearance of a chapel,and was sanctified in 1871.

This monastic settlement named until 1918 "Metohija" or "Bucium Mansion",has developed in Iasi a spiritual center, being over time also a resting place for the Metropolitans of Moldavia.       

The Hermitage Bucium developed considerably after 1942, along with the aquisition of 22 hectares of land from Princess Ioana Rosetti Roznovanu, which included several buildings: “The Roznovanu Palace", "The Guesthouse" and "The clay tiles and pipes workshop”. Between 1950 - 1977, the hermitage’s church was enlarged and decorated under the guidance of painter Vasile Pascu, and was resanctified in 1967. In 1993, the hermitage gets the rank of monastery.

Today, the monastic complex “Bucium” includes: the church, the guest house "St. Antipa of Calapodeşti "(Metropolitan residence), “The Refectory” (the cells of the monks), “The House Roznovanu II "(the cells of monks),the wine store and the carpentry workshop.

The Athos spirituality is now own by this small monastic gathering, being a sacred tradition of these places, trough the praying, asceticism and the work of the monks

 

 

Archive

 

Tradition and present

Events

Virtual tour

Painting workshop

Liturgical schedule

Future projects

Announcements

Donations